Triathletes demand a high level or performance from their bodies. Their Sports nutrition needs to supply the best possible ingredients in the right format to meet the athlete’s requirements.
Hammer Nutrition products only use ingredients that aid or improve an athlete’s performance. There are no additives, colourings, added simple sugars, or anything harmful towards the athlete’s performance.
If you are looking for the leading proven Endurance fuel for Triathletes in the world, your search is now over.
“Nutrition has always been my downfall when racing, as I had struggled to find a product that worked for me.
Then a friend introduced me to Perpetuem and I was amazed at how easy it is to consume, and the sustained energy levels over a long period of time that it provides. Since then I have been hooked!”
Michelle Bremer, 2011 Sunsmart Ironman Western Australia Female Champion
LONG DISTANCE TRIATHLETES (1/2-FULL IRONMAN)
If you are a long distance Triathlete, the importance of your choice in nutrition is vital to success. Failure to address this from day one will no doubt be a recipe for disaster.
Many Triathletes focus on the relentless pursuit of training hour after hour, day after day and neglect the importance of nutrition. If they spent a small percentage of that time learning how to fuel they would ensure their training is not wasted through bad choices in nutrition.
At Hammer we have had 23 years of success in advising Endurance Athletes with nutritional information.
We advise athletes spend 1-2 hours in reading some of the best nutritional knowledge available. The information you will find in these articles below will save you a lot of time and trouble and could possibly make the difference between success and failure.
Once you have this information you can then make a better informed choice.
Many athletes make the vital mistake of thinking that they have to consume and train with what is available to them by the Sponsor of the event. As we know, the nutritional sponsor of many Ironman events is one who pays the most money, with little concern for quality of the product. Ensure you make a wise decision before embarking on this route.
Quiet often the event product is mixed by volunteers who have little knowledge of concentration levels. This can have a dramatic effect on your performance if mixed wrong. Our advice is to always know exactly what you are putting into your body.
HOW TO FUEL FOR A LONG DISTANCE TRIATHLON
1. FUEL CONSUMPTION PER HOUR
Consumption should be limited to between 250 calories and a maximum of 350 calories / hour (1025 -1435 Kj Approx.) The amount will depend on individual differences in weight etc. This amount of calories is what you can comfortably digest when your body is under stress. Any more than this amount will have trouble being digested and will lead to stomach distress.
TIP – on the bike separate your hydration from your nutrition to stop confusion. (Have 2 water bottles). Too many people do not pay enough attention to the amount of calories consumed on the bike. It is very easy to over consume calories and still reasonably comfortable. The consequences are felt when you start running and endure km of gastro problems.
2. FUEL CHOICES
Our preferred fuel source is Liquid.
- Liquids are easily digestible. Solids will take longer to digest and will take blood away from the working muscles to digest.
- By taking liquids you can be almost 100% certain of how many calories you are consuming per hour.
- Taking solids you can never be sure on how many calories are being digested per hour.
- Hammer Perpetuem is ideal for this purpose (See website for Mixing Instructions)
- It is recommended that the liquid form(Perpetuem) be used on the bike.
BENEFITS OF PERPETUEM
Perpetuem contains all the right ingredients (Complex Carbohydrates, Soy Protein and Lipids)
- It is scientifically designed for Endurance exercise lasting longer than 3 hours and up to 1-3 days.
- Perpetuem gives you very stable energy levels over a long period of time without the highs and lows.
- This is exactly what your body needs over this duration. It does not give you the spikes in energy given by simple sugars.
- Perpetuem contains complex carbohydrates, Soy protein and Lipids (type of fat).
- The complex carbohydrates give the consistent stable energy supply
- The soy will help your body stop breaking down its own muscle tissue.
- The Lipids will help release your own fats stores. Fat will be a major contributor to energy demands. The longer you go the more important fat becomes as a fuel source.
- Perpetuem can be mixed into a Multiple Hour Bottle. For example a 3-4 hour bottle can be mixed for between drink stations.
- Perpetuem is a complete source of Energy (No other nutrients are required apart from Hydration/ Electrolytes)
- Do not count the water contained in a Perpetuem bottle as part of your hydration.
For exact details on Perpetuem, go to the Hammer Nutrition website. Perpetuem comes on both powder (liquid) and tablet form (solids).
HYDRATATION / ELECTROLYTES
Proper Hydration is essential for successful completion of an Ironman. Consumption must be on a regular basis.
We consider around 590-750 ml / hour to be approx. the right amount.
Both under and over hydration can cause serious problems.
Electrolytes are to the body as like “oil is to a car”. Over this sort of distance it is crucial to take on extra electrolytes in the right format. We would always recommend you take an extra form of electrolyte supplementation during an Ironman, even if you don’t feel as though you need it. When you do feel you need it, it’s usually too late.
The Australian Food Standards for Sports Foods does not take into consideration athletes doing over distance events. They have limited the amount of Electrolytes manufacturers are able to add to Sports drinks.
Hammer has 2 ways of providing Electrolytes in the form of Endurolytes or Endurolytes FIZZ. Both are formulated to provide an excellent cross section of Electrolytes. Salt Tablets only contain sodium and Potassium; you will need a full cross section of Electrolytes.
Many variables—body weight, level of fitness, weather conditions, acclimatization level, and biological predisposition, come into play in regards to optimally fulfilling one’s personal electrolyte requirements. It is vital that you experiment with a dosage that is suitable to you.
Perpetuem (liquid) is our fuel choice for the bike ride. It can be easily measured to ensure correct calorie consumption. It can be mixed into a 4-5 hour bottle. If your bike time goes beyond the 5 hour mark, a switch can be made to Solids. Take electrolytes as above. Keep hydration as above.
You have several choices on the run.
- You can keep taking Perpetuem in the form of solids (tablets).
- You can switch to use Hammer gels.
- Take Electrolytes as above (crucial)
- Do not consume simple sugars (i.e. Coke) until the last 30-45 mins.
- Stay away from solid fuels – even harder to digest on the run.
OTHER HAMMER PRODUCTS TO USE
The above is our preferred means for fuelling for a long distance Triathlon
There are choices for those who prefer other means. As noted the main consideration is the amount of calories consumed per hour and the type of calorie. Listed below are the other Hammer products which can be consumed.
All Hammer products can be used together. It’s a great idea to use some of these other Hammer products to use to break up the monotony of using one product.
Hammer Bars (230Calories) – a great easy to digest alternative, to break up the consumption of Perpeutem
Hammer gels (100calories) – Easy to consume Energy Gel.
H.E.E.D (High Energy Electrolyte Drink – 100 calories scoop) – a mild tasting Energy drink (only uses Complex Carbohydrates) with a good cross section of Electrolytes.
- A complete diet of liquid fuels is possible to complete this event.
- However some will feel the need to eat something solid.
- Make solid food consumption the exception, not the rule
- Choice of solid fuels is crucial.
- If eating solids, eat small amounts of solids at one time.
- Avoid foods which are hard to digest, high in saturated fats, refined sugars etc.
- We strongly recommend that you avoid simple sugars, i.e. lollies, chocolates. These products will provide a quick boost, and then drop your energy levels down below where they started.
- What you put in your body greatly determines what you get out of it. Remember:
garbage in, garbage out
Save with our special packs – all with free shipping!
This sample pack includes Perpetuem, Endurolytes Fizz, Hammer Gel, and...
Ok, so you are not an endurance athlete clocking up...
Are you clocking up some serious kms? See how your...
Are you clocking up some serious kms? See how your...