The 2013 Audax Alpine Classic will be held on the 27th of January, 2013. We’ll be working with them to ensure that every rider has access to the best nutritional products to help them complete this epic ride. In fact, we’re offering a 10% discount to all riders on our product range.
Knowing that the well-informed rider will plan their nutrition carefully, we’re ready to help out with plenty of information.
We strongly suggests that riders take the time to read the following articles:
How to fuel for a 4-15+ Hour Cycle Ride
4 main things to consider:
1. Amount of fuel (Kilojoules/calories) required for an hour
Consumption should be limited to between 250 calories and a maximum of 400 calories / hour (1025 – 1640 Kj Approx.) The amount will depend on individual differences in size, weight etc. This is the amount of calories you can comfortably digest when your body is under stress. Any more than this amount can cause stomach distress.
2. Hydration and electrolytes
Proper Hydration is essential for successful completion of the event.
We consider around 590-750 ml / hour to be approx. the right amount.
Both under and over hydration can cause serious problems. Do not count the water contained in a Perpetuem bottle as part of your hydration.
Electrolytes are to the body as like “oil is to car”. Over this sort of distance it is crucial to take on extra electrolytes in the right format.
Hammer has 2 ways of providing Electrolytes in the form of Endurolytes or Endurolytes FIZZ. Both are formulated to provide an excellent cross section of Electrolytes. Salt Tablets only contain sodium and Potassium; you will need a full cross section of Electrolytes (Vitamin B6, Calcium, Magnesium, Manganese, Chloride, Sodium, Potassium, and Tyrosine).
Many variables—body weight, level of fitness, weather conditions, acclimatization level, and biological predisposition—come into play in regards to optimally fulfilling one’s personal electrolyte requirements. It is vital that you experiment with a dosage that is suitable to you.
Generally taking approx. 1-4 Endurolytes or 1-2 Endurolytes FIZZ / hour would be sufficient for most.
3. Things you don’t want to do
- Make bad fuel choices. i.e. take products with simple sugars, take caffeine all day long. Click here to learn why complex carbohydrates are superior to simple sugars
- Over consume calories.
- Under or over hydrate.
- Not make a fuelling plan and practice it.
4. Fuelling Choices
General rules regarding consumption of fuel
- A complete liquid fuel is possible to complete the event, however most will feel the need to eat solids – Make solid food consumption the exception, not the rule
- Ensure the solid fuel is kept below 350 calories per hour. I.e. eat small amounts of solids at one time
- Avoid foods which are hard to digest, high in saturated fats, refined sugars etc. – Remember garbage in, garbage out.
- We strongly recommend that you avoid simple sugars, i.e. lollies, chocolates – What pushes your blood sugars up quickly, will also drop quickly and usually lower than original starting point.
- Avoid consuming solid foods while going uphill.
- Seriously think about your usage of caffeine, regards amount and timing. We strongly recommend that if you use caffeine, to lower your caffeine intake (25 -50 mg max.) and use it towards the end of the course, rather than the beginning.
Nutritional Plan for 250km Ride
Hammer recommends using Perpetuem (please take the time to read the information on Perpetuem to see why it is so beneficial) with a combination of Hammer Gel, Hammer Bar, and Enudrolytes/Endurolyte Fizz.
Perpetuem (Base Fuel)
- Mix a 3-4 hour bottle and place approx. 6-8 scoops (click here for usage information) in the bottle. Divide the bottle into 3 or 4 and consume 1/3 or ¼ every hour. Pre-mix bottle the night before and keep it in the fridge/freezer.
- Take further multi-hour servings of Perpetuem in a zip lock bags and when you come to an aid station stop and mix with water for a fresh bottle. Repeat as necessary for the time on course.
- Take 590-750ml water per hour. This does not include the amount in the Perpetuem Bottle.
- Add 1-4 Endurolytes or 1-2 Endurolyte Fizz per hour. Repeat every hour on the bike.
- For variety you can use the Hammer Gel or Hammer Bar.
- Ensure your calorie intake is not greater than 400 calories per hour.
Perpetuem can be used as a total fuel – you don’t need to use other fuels. Some will feel the need to eat solid foods. This is fine (make it the exception), however choose your solid foods wisely and ensure calories are not over consumed.
All Alpine Classic Entries are entitled to a 10% discount on ALL Hammer Products.
To get the discount:
- Select the products you would like to purchase.
- Proceed to the shopping cart checkout
- In the checkout cart you will see a coupon code section
- Place this code “ALPINE” into the section
- Click apply and checkout
Have a great ride, remember “Fuel right, Feel GREAT”