Back to Kokoda Challenge Fuel Guide
You can use a combination of both liquid and solid fuel; however majority of the fuelling should consist of liquid fuels.
- Liquids are easily digestible. Solids will take longer to digest and will take blood away from the working muscles to digest (Avoid when travelling uphill).
- By taking liquids you can be almost 100% certain of how many calories you are consuming per hour.
- Taking solids you can never be sure on how many calories are being digested per hour.
- Consumption of too many solids can make you feel lethargic and slow you down.
- Hammer Perpetuem is ideal for this purpose ( See website for Mixing Instructions)
Perpetuem is a powder which is mixed into a drink.
We recommend Perpetuem be used for a minimum of 60-70% + of your fuel needs.
BENEFITS OF PERPETUEM
- It is scientifically designed for Endurance exercise lasting longer than 3 hours and up to 2-3 days.
- Perpetuem gives you very stable energy levels over a long period of time without the highs and lows.
- This is exactly what your body needs over this duration. It does not give you the spikes in energy given by simple sugars.
- Perpetuem contains complex carbohydrates, Soy protein and Lipids (type of fat).
- The complex carbohydrates give the consistent stable energy supply
- The soy will help your body stop breaking down its own muscle tissue.
- The Lipids will help release your own fats stores. Fat will be a major contributor to energy demands. The longer you go the more important fat becomes as a fuel source.
- Perpetuem can be mixed into a Multiple Hour Bottle. For example a 3-4 hour bottle can be mixed for between drink stations.
- Perpetuem is a complete source of Energy (No other nutrients are required apart from Hydration/ Electrolytes)
For exact details on Perpetuem.
OTHER HAMMER PRODUCTS TO USE
All Hammer products can be used together. It’s a great idea to use some of these other Hammer products to use to break up the monotony of using one product.
Hammer Bars (230Calories) – a great easy to digest alternative, to break up the consumption of Perpeutem
Hammer gels (100calories) – Easy to consume Energy Gel.
H.E.E.D (High Energy Electrolyte Drink – 100 calories scoop) – a mild tasting Energy drink (only uses Complex Carbohydrates) with a good cross section of Electrolytes.
SOLID FOOD RULES
- Complex Carbohydrates
- Little or no refined sugars or saturated fats foods
- Proper protein consumption eg. White meat and soy protein
- Consumption under 350 calories per hour
- Simple Sugars
- Refined Sugars
- High fiber
- High Saturated fats
- Improper protein consumption eg. Red meat and whey protein
- Exceeding ideal calorie intake.
Save with our special packs – all with free shipping!