The Kokoda Challenge is a challenge in a lifetime for most of us. The KEY to success is detailed preparation in all areas including physical, mental, and NUTRITIONALLY.
One of the most important aspects often overlooked by participants is NUTRITION. Hammer Nutrition is a Company which specialises in Endurance Nutrition products and knowledge. The NIKE/HAMMER team have successfully won the Kokoda Challenge 4 times and have been course record holders.
Hammer has detailed below guidelines and a nutritional plan for your teams successful completion of the KOKODA CHALLENGE.
If you have any queries feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
There is also special offer for all competitors of 10% discount on ALL Hammer products.
To get this discount go to the products page, select the products and proceed to the shopping cart checkout.
In the Checkout cart you will see a coupon section, place this coupon code KOKODA in the coupon section, click apply and checkout.
The discount will automatically apply. If you are unsure which products you would like, we suggest that you choose the Survival Pack at the bottom of this page
How to fuel for the Kokoda Challenge
These are the 6 basic topics you should know about your nutrition. Take 15 minutes to read this information and you will be well prepared to make some crucial decision that will better your performance.
For far more detail we strongly suggest that you read the bible of Sports Endurance Nutrition.
Once you have this information you can then make a better informed choice.
- Amount of fuel (Kilojoules/calories) required for an hour
- Hydration and electrolytes
- Things you don’t want to do
- Fuelling Choices
1. Amount of Fuel
Consumption should be limited to between 150 calories and a maximum of 300 calories / hour. The amount will depend on individual differences in size, weight etc. This is the amount of calories you can comfortably digest when your body is under stress. Any more than this amount can cause stomach distress.
2. Hydration and electrolytes
Proper Hydration is essential for successful completion of the event.
We consider around 590-750 ml / hour to be approx. the right amount.
Electrolytes are to the body as like “oil is to car”. Over this sort of distance it is crucial to take on extra electrolytes in the right format.
Hammer has 2 ways of providing Electrolytes in the form of Endurolytes or Endurolytes FIZZ. Both are formulated to provide an excellent cross section of Electrolytes. Salt Tablets only contain sodium and Potassium; you will need a full cross section of Electrolytes (Vitamin B6, Calcium, Magnesium, Manganese, Chloride, Sodium, Potassium, and Tyrosine).
Many variables—body weight, level of fitness, weather conditions, acclimatization level, and biological predisposition—come into play in regards to optimally fulfilling one’s personal electrolyte requirements. It is vital that you experiment with a dosage that is suitable to you.
Generally taking approx. 1-3 Endurolytes or 1-3 Endurolytes FIZZ / hour would be sufficient for most.
3. Things you don’t want to do
- Make bad fuel choices. i.e. take products with simple sugars, take caffeine all day long.
- Over consume calories.
- Under or over hydrate.
- Not make a fuelling plan and practice it.
4. Fuelling Choices
- A complete liquid fuel is possible to complete the event, however most will feel the need to eat solids – Make solid food consumption the exception, not the rule
- Ensure the solid fuel is kept below 250 calories per hour. I.e. eat small amounts of solids at one time
- Avoid foods which are hard to digest, high in saturated fats, refined sugars etc. –Remember garbage in, garbage out.
- We strongly recommend that you avoid simple sugars, i.e. lollies, chocolates – What pushes your blood sugars up quickly, will also drop quickly and usually lower than original starting point.
- Avoid consuming solid foods while going uphill.
- Seriously think about your usage of caffeine, regards amount and timing. We strongly recommend that if you use caffeine, to lower your caffeine intake (25 -50 mg max.) and use it towards the end of the course, rather than the beginning.
We have to put together 2 fuelling plans for teams. As noted above it is vital your practise your plan as much as possible during the lead up to the event. If you have any questions please email us at email@example.com
Please choose your plan:
And don’t forget about our Survival Pack below!
Save with our special packs – all with free shipping!