Failure to address a sound nutrition plan will impact your result
Hammer Nutrition is a Company which specialises in Endurance Nutrition products and knowledge.
A 3 day tour requires 2 aspects of nutrition, race (during) and recovery (after) nutrition. Both race and recovery nutrition goes hand in hand, in aiding the successfully completion throughout the 3 days.
These are the 6 basic topics you should know about your nutrition. Take 15 minutes to read this information and you will be well prepared to make some crucial decision that will better your performance.
For far more detail we strongly suggest that you read the bible of Sports Endurance Nutrition.
Once you have this information you can then make a better informed choice.
Hammer has details below outlining some general guidelines, regarding race nutrition and recovery nutrition, to aid in successfully completing a 3 day tour.
If you have any queries feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
GET A 12 % discount on all Hammer products – see details below
How to fuel for a 3 day tour
- Keep fluid intake during exercise between 550-800/ml per hour.
- Keep calorie consumption to a maximum of 250- 350 calories/hour (approx.1260 kj/ Hr)
- Measure exactly what calories/kj you are consuming. Taking too much can be worse than not enough!
- Separate your hydration from nutrition on the bike to stop confusion
- Only consume complex carbohydrates until the last 30-45 minutes of the ride.
- Use some form of extra electrolyte supplementation for cramp prevention.
- Trial your nutritional plan as much as possible leading up to the race.
Things to avoid during the ride:
- Over consumption of Calories/kilojoules – often the cause of many cramps and stomach issues. Your system cannot process more than approx. 350 calories per hour. Less is better than too much as you can correct less by adding more.
- Bad choice of nutrition. Avoid simple sugars, i.e. sucrose, glucose etc. Anything which makes your blood sugars elevate very quickly will also come down very quickly. Only use towards the end of the ride. Use complex carbohydrates.
- If choosing to use solid foods, choose wisely. Avoid hard digesting foods, fatty foods, and high fibre foods. Eat small amounts at any one time. Remember liquids digest quicker than solids.
- Only use caffeine towards the end of the ride (last 30min). Caffeine can lift you but there is always a down side.
- Hammer Gels – take 1-2 per hour combined (approx. 220 calories/hour)
- HEED – take 2 scoops combined with 1 Hammer Gel (approx. 300 calories/hour)
- The above can mixed with a limited amount of solid food i.e. Hammer Bar. Avoid hard to digest foods, fatty foods, and high fiber foods. Eat small amounts at any one time. Remember liquids digest quicker than solids.
- Cramping can be a major issue. Combine the above with the addition of 1-3 Endurolytes per hour
The Importance of Recovery
Here are a few things to consider:
- Effective recovery addresses 3 general areas – carbohydrates for energy resupply, protein for muscle repair and rebuilding, and vitamins and minerals for micronutrient replenishment
- Timing is crucial to get the maximum benefit – shortly after you finish racing, you have a brief period of receptivity during which your body absorbs and metabolizes nutrients most efficiently
- In general, you want to get about 10-20 grams of protein and 30-60 grams of complex carbohydrates into the body in the first 30-60 minutes post-race – also ideal time to consume vitamins, minerals and antioxidants
- Whey protein is the fastest absorbed of all protein, with the highest levels of “recovery specific” amino acids – which makes it the best choice for recovery purpose
- Recovery time is rehydration time too
Hammer suggestion for recovery is the Recoverite. Recoverite is the easy way to take care of crucial recovery needs after workout/race, providing the high-quality complex carbohydrates and whey protein isolate you need. Additionally, Recoverite supplies a generous amount of glutamine, a couple of other recovery-specific micronutrients, a full spectrum electrolyte profile. This makes Recoverite the ideal post-workout/race fuel.
BUY Hammer products 12 % discount
“All Cyclists in any 3 day tour are entitled to a 12% discount on all Hammer Products until the 1st July.
To get this discount go to the products page, select the products and proceed to the shopping cart checkout.
In the Checkout cart you will see a coupon section, place this coupon code GD3DT in the coupon section, click apply and checkout.
The discount will be applied. If you are unsure which products you would like we suggest that you choose the starter pack or user pack on this page”