The Santos GLNG Brisbane to the Gold Coast Cycle Challenge is a great ride to do and for Hammer Nutrition to become involved with.
Our job at Hammer is to make sure you the right nutrition to use and fuel correctly so you can successfully complete the ride and feel great during.
This ride is not just getting on your bike, turning up, and hoping to get through a 100km. To ensure an enjoyable ride, let’s plan your nutrition and do it right.
These are the 6 basic topics you should know about your nutrition. Take 15 minutes to read this information and you will be well prepared to make some crucial decision that will better your performance.
For far more detail we strongly suggest that you read the bible of Sports Endurance Nutrition.
Once you have this information you can then make a better informed choice.
“There is also special offer for all riders of 15% discount on ALL Hammer products.
To get this discount go to the products page, select the products and proceed to the shopping cart checkout.
In the Checkout cart you will see a coupon section, place this coupon code BQ in the coupon section, click apply and checkout.
The discount will be applied. If you are unsure which products you would like, we suggest that you start with the Starter Pack ”
Hammer Nutrition’s must do points for successful completion of the Santos GLNG Brisbane to the Gold Coast Cycle Challenge:
- Keep fluid intake during exercise between 550-800/ml per hour.
- Keep calorie consumption to a maximum of 250- 350 calories/hour (approx.1260 kj/ Hr)
- Measure exactly what calories/kj you are consuming. Taking too much can be worse than not enough!
- Separate your hydration from nutrition on the bike to stop confusion
- Only consume complex carbohydrates until the last 30-45 minutes of the ride.
- Use some form of extra electrolyte supplementation for cramp prevention.
- Trial your nutritional plan as much as possible leading up to the ride.
Things to avoid during the ride:
- Over consumption of Calories/kilojoules – often the cause of many cramps and stomach issues. Your system cannot process more than approx. 350 calories per hour. Less is better than too much as you can correct less by adding more.
- Bad choice of nutrition. Avoid simple sugars, i.e. sucrose, glucose etc. Anything which makes your blood sugars elevate very quickly will also come down very quickly. Only use towards the end of the ride. Majority of the ride use complex carbohydrates.
- If choosing to use solid foods, choose wisely. Avoid hard to digest foods, fatty foods, and high fibre foods. Eat small amounts at any one time. Remember liquids digest quicker than solids.
- Only use caffeine towards the end of the ride (last 1 hour). Caffeine can lift you but there is always a down side.
- Learn more on the above by reading the “10 BIGGEST MISTAKES ENDURANCE ATHLETES MAKE”
Hammer Nutrition Plan for a 100km ride
There are two suggested methods of fuelling, and this is dependent on the duration of the ride. The fuelling strategies suggested below are for either under 4 hours or over 4 hours.
Under 4 hours
- HEED – take 2 scoops combined with 1 Hammer Gel (approx. 300 calories/hour) in the first hour
- Hammer Gels – take 1 per hour combined with 1 Hammer Bar per hour (approx. 320 calories/hour) in the second hour
- You can either stick with method 1 or alternate between 1 and 2, for variation.
- The above can mixed with a limited amount of solid foods. Avoid hard digesting foods, fatty foods, and high fiber foods. Eat small amounts at any one time. Remember liquids digest quicker than solids.
- All-Complex Carbohydrate Formula – Longer lasting energy
- Light, non-sweet, non-syrupy taste
- Smooth, even energy-no sugar spikes or crashes
- Help protect against cramps
- Buffer lactic acid
- Low acid formula
- Full spectrum electrolyte profile
- Promote oral health, not tooth decay
Always combine the above with the addition of 1-3 Endurolytes per hour, to avoid cramps.
Over 4 hours
- Perpetuem – Use a 4 hour bottle and place approx. 7-8 scoops (see directions on quantity) in the bottle. Divide the bottle into 4 and consume 1/4 of a bottle/hour. Pre-mix bottle the night before and keep in fridge.
- Take further servings or Perpetuem in zip lock bags (2 hour bags) and when you come to an aid station stop and mix with water for a fresh bottle. Repeat as necessary during ride.
- Take 550-800ml water per hour.
- Add 1-3 Endurolytes / hour.
- Perpetuem is a total fuel – you don’t need to fuel with anything else (i.e. gels, solid foods etc.) The only time you may require other fuels is for a variety of fuels if you happen to become bored with one type of fuel use.
Benefits of Perpetuem
- Consistent, stable blood sugars, hour after hour
- No highs or lows
- Easy to digest, no stomach or GI issues
- Reduce muscle fatigue and recovery time
- Unprecedented lactic acid buffering
- Get a full, satiated feeling during prolonged all-liquid fueling
- Minimize lean muscle tissue cannibalization
- Unique carb/protein/fat formula for maximum endurance
Any riders requiring further advice and information can contact us via email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 1300 193 240