About Hammer Nutrition
Hammer Nutrition is the “official Energy Gel and Energy Bar” supplier to the Bupa Around the Bay. Hammer Nutrition is recognised as the world’s leading Endurance Sports Nutrition Company. The choice of ride nutrition is crucial to the overall success of the event.
Hammer Nutrition has focused on making products using only ingredients which we believe are of benefit to the athlete. This means that our products contain no added simple sugars, colourings, preservatives and anything which is harmful to the rider’s performance.
Athlete Nutritional Education is extremely important to us. We strongly believe in not only selling you the best Endurance fuels, but also backing that up with the best athlete nutritional Education and advice service in Australia.
Steve Born, one of the world’s leading Endurance experts has written the endurance athlete’s bible, the “Endurance Athlete’s Guide to Success“. We strongly recommend that riders spend time educating themselves on how to fuel for this event by reading this booklet.
Any riders requiring further advice and information can contact us via email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 1300 913 240
Read down for Special Hammer purchase offer.
Hammer Nutrition’s must do points for successful completion of Around the Bar.
- Keep fluid intake during exercise between 550-800/ml per hour.
- Keep calorie consumption to a maximum of 250- 350 calories/hour (approx.1260 kj/ Hr)
- Measure exactly what calories/kj you are consuming. Taking too much can be worse than not enough!
- Separate your hydration from nutrition on the bike to stop confusion
- Only consume complex carbohydrates until the last 30-45 minutes of the ride.
- Use some form of extra electrolyte supplementation for cramp prevention.
- Trial your nutritional plan as much as possible leading up to the race.
Things to avoid during the ride.
- Over consumption of Calories/kilojoules – often the cause of many cramps and stomach issues. Your system can not process more than approx. 350 calories per hour. Less is better than too much as you can correct less by adding more.
- Bad choice of nutrition. Avoid simple sugars, i.e. sucrose, glucose etc. Anything which makes your blood sugars elevate very quickly will also come down very quickly. Only use towards the end of the ride. Use complex carbohydrates.
- If choosing to use solid foods, choose wisely. Avoid hard to digest foods, fatty foods, and high fibre foods. Eat small amounts at any one time. Remember liquids digest quicker than solids.
- Only use caffeine towards the end of the ride (last 1 hour). Caffeine can lift you but there is always a down side.
Hammer Nutrition Plan for a 100 – 250 km ride
(Please take the time to completely read the information on Perpetuem to see why it is so beneficial)
- Consistent, stable blood sugars, hour after hour
- No highs or lows
- Easy to digest, no stomach or GI issues
- Reduce muscle fatigue and recovery time
- Unprecedented lactic acid buffering
- Get a full, satiated feeling during prolonged all-liquid fueling
- Minimize lean muscle tissue cannibalization
- Unique carb/protein/fat formula for maximum endurance
Perpetuem. Use a 4 hour bottle and place approx. 7-8 scoops (see directions on quantity) in the bottle. Divide the bottle into 4 and consume 1/4 of a bottle/hour. Pre-mix bottle the night before and keep in fridge.
Take further servings or Perpetuem in zip lock bags (4 hour bags) and when you come to an aid station stop and mix with water for a fresh bottle. Repeat as necessary during race.
Take 550-800ml water per hour.
Add 1-3 Endurolytes / hour.
Perpetuem is a total fuel – you don’t need to fuel with anything else (i.e. gels, solid foods etc.) The only time you may require other fuels is for a variety of fuels if you happen to become bored with one type of fuel use. If so, please see strategy #2
Strategy # 2
You may use other fuels such as below. This is not our preferred method.
However you can mix the 2 methods below together if you want a variety of fuels.
- Hammer Gels – take 1 per hour combined with 1 Hammer Bar per hour (approx. 320 calories/hour)
- HEED – take 2 scoops combined with 1 Hammer Gel (approx. 300 calories/hour)
- The above can mixed with a limited amount of solid foods. Avoid hard to digest foods, fatty foods, and high fibre foods. Eat small amounts at any one time. Remember liquids digest quicker than solids.
Always combine the above with the addition of 1-3 Endurolytes per hour
Save with our special packs – all with free shipping!