These are the 6 basic topics you should know about your nutrition. Take 15 minutes to read this information and you will be well prepared to make some crucial decision that will better your performance.
For far more detail we strongly suggest that you read the bible of Sports Endurance Nutrition.
Once you have this information you can then make a better informed choice.
The 4 main things you must consider.
- The amount of fuel (Kilojoules/calories) required per hour
- Fuel Choices
- Hydration / Electrolytes
- Things you don’t want to do.
This fuel plan can be adjusted for the individual racing anywhere from 25 hours to 35 hours or more.
It is crucial that you practice your fuelling plan as much as possible leading up to the race. Everybody is slightly different and adjustments are often required. The information here is given as a guide.
1. FUEL CONSUMPTION PER HOUR
Consumption should be limited to between 250 calories and a maximum of 350 calories / hour (1025 -1435 Kj Approx.) The amount will depend on individual differences in size etc. This amount is the amount of calories you can digest when your body is under stress. Any more than this amount can cause stomach distress.
2. FUEL CHOICES
Our preferred fuel source is Liquid.
- Liquids are easily digestible. Solids will take longer to digest and will take blood away from the working muscles to digest.
- By Taking liquids you can be almost 100% certain of how many calories you are consuming per hour.
- Taking solids you can never be sure on how many calories are being digested per hour.
- Consumption of too many solids can make you feel lethargic and slow you down.
- Hammer Perpetuem is ideal for this purpose ( See website for Mixing Instructions)
Perpetuem is a powder which is mixed into a drink.
We recommend Perpetuem be used for a minimum of 60-70% + of your fuel needs.
BENEFITS OF PERPETUEM
Perpetuem contains all the right ingredients (Complex Carbohydrates, Soy Protein and Lipids)
- It is scientifically designed for Endurance exercise lasting longer than 3 hours and up to 2-3 days.
- Perpetuem gives you very stable energy levels over a long period of time without the highs and lows.
- This is exactly what your body needs over this duration. It does not give you the spikes in energy given by simple sugars.
- Perpetuem contains complex carbohydrates, Soy protein and Lipids (type of fat).
- The complex carbohydrates give the consistent stable energy supply
- The soy will help your body stop breaking down its own muscle tissue.
- The Lipids will help release your own fats stores. Fat will be a major contributor to energy demands. The longer you go the more important fat becomes as a fuel source.
- Perpetuem can be mixed into a Multiple Hour Bottle. For example a 3-4 hour bottle can be mixed for between drink stations.
- Perpetuem is a complete source of Energy (No other nutrients are required apart from Hydration/ Electrolytes)
For exact details on Perpetuem.
OTHER HAMMER PRODUCTS TO USE
All Hammer products can be used together. It’s a great idea to use some of these other Hammer products to use to break up the monotony of using one product.
- Hammer Bars (230Calories) – a great easy to digest alternative, to break up the consumption of Perpeutem
- Hammer gels (100calories) – Easy to consume Energy Gel.
- H.E.E.D (High Energy Electrolyte Drink – 100 calories scoop) – a mild tasting Energy drink (only uses Complex Carbohydrates) with a good cross section of Electrolytes.
- A complete diet of liquid fuels is possible to complete this event.
- However most will feel the need to eat something solid.
- Make solid food consumption the exception, not the rule
- Choice of solid fuels is crucial and you must always keep calorie content below 350 per
- hour. I.e. eat small amounts of solids at one time.
- Avoid foods which are hard to digest, high in saturated fats, refined sugars etc.
- What you put in your body greatly determines what you get out of it. Remember:
garbage in, garbage out
- We strongly recommend that you avoid simple sugars, i.e. lollies, chocolates. These products will provide a quick boost, and then drop your energy levels down below where they started.
The information you will find in these articles below will save you a lot of time and trouble and could possibly make the difference between success and failure.
Proper Hydration is essential for successful completion of the event.
We consider around 590-750 ml / hour to be approx. the right amount.
Both under and over hydration can cause serious problems. Do not count the water contained in a Perpetuem bottle as part of your hydration.
Electrolytes are to the body as like “oil is to car”. Over this sort of distance it is crucial to take on extra electrolytes in the right format.
Hammer has 2 ways of providing Electrolytes in the form of Endurolytes or Endurolytes FIZZ. Both are formulated to provide an excellent cross section of Electrolytes. Salt Tablets only contain sodium and Potassium; you will need a full cross section of Electrolytes.
Many variables—body weight, level of fitness, weather conditions, acclimatization level, and biological predisposition—come into play in regards to optimally fulfilling one’s personal electrolyte requirements. It is vital that you experiment with a dosage that is suitable to you.
4. Things you don’t want to do.
- Make bad fuel choices. i.e. take products with simple sugars, take caffeine all day long.
- Over consume calories.
- Under or over hydrate.
- Not make a fuelling plan and practise it.
Save with our special packs – all with free shipping!
This sample pack includes Perpetuem, Endurolytes Fizz, Hammer Gel, and...
Ok, so you are not an endurance athlete clocking up...
Are you clocking up some serious kms? See how your...
Are you clocking up some serious kms? See how your...